Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween and a promised recipe

Matt was away this weekend so I was very thankful my parents came for a visit so they could trick or treat with us and watch the girls dance in church on Sunday. We are counting down the hours until Matt gets home, we all miss him very much, it was hard having him away during a weekend of big events.

I have to share a few Halloween pictures for you followed by the recipe I promised!

Ella made a beginning of the week decision from a movie star to a cowgirl. I have to say I think the cowgirl costume was much easier!
Catherine changed her mind from a crayon, to a butterfly, but when I spotted this costume at a friend's house I was able to convince her to be a Kangaroo. Isn't it the cutest ever?! Perfect for a rainy night, I don't think she ever felt wet!

My friend Rachel's husband Joe was with Matt at a conference all weekend, so she brought over her 4 month old baby Jacob to go trick or treating with us. He makes a great Superman!

We also were joined by Batman and Tinkerbell, AKA Wyatt and Jillian. I had to include this picture because I love how Rachel is holding Jacob, at first glance it looks like he's flying!

The whole group again. Check out Ella's boots. I found them on Craiglist and paid $5 for them and another pair of shoes in her size - score!It was a fun, but somewhat rainy night. After trick or treating around our block we went over to Renee's house to see her kids and collect some more candy, but at that point the rain really was starting to come down and the kids were losing it and we realized that no more candy was needed! I think Jillian was the star of the show, she walked as fast as her little legs could carry her and never complained and even when she was scared by someone handing out candy in a Burger King (actual King) costume, creepy mask and all, she just turned and quickly walked away. Can you imagine how my kids' reacted to that? It almost ruined the night for Catherine!
We were well fed heading out to trick or treat because we had enjoyed a yummy dinner that I promised I would share with you. I found this recipe years ago in Southern Living and everyone who's had it has loved it. It makes a ton, so it's great for guests or for using as leftovers (or freezing).
1 pound dried pinto beans
1 3 1/2 pound pork loin roast (doesn't have to be bone-in)
2 cans chopped green chilies
2 garlic cloves
1 T chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp gr. cumin
32 oz. box chicken broth
10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies and cilantro and lime juice (really plain diced tomatoes work fine, I've never found the specific type it calls for)
Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in crock pot, add roast and add next 6 ingredients. Pour chicken broth evenly over the roast. To make it easier, I would suggest mixing the spices and garlic in a bowl the night before. That way in the morning you just can quickly dump everything in the crock pot in a few easy steps.
Cook on high one hour, reduce to low for 9 hours or remain on high 6 more hours. Shred pork into pieces (remove bone if there is one) and stir in diced tomatoes. Cook on high 1 more hour. It will be hard to wait until dinner time when you smell this cooking all day!
To serve, you can use taco salad shells and fill with shredded lettuce, top with pork mixture and additional topppings (halved cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese). We typically just put a bunch of tostito chips on a plate and then lettuce, pork, etc...
The great thing about this is that there are many ways you can serve it. Like I said, the above is the way we usually have it first. Leftovers might involve making it into quesadillas or tacos. Southern Living suggests serving it over cornbread or as an addition to huevos rancheros. Since Matt missed it the first night, we're having it again tonight and it doesn't really count as leftovers (at least not for him).

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a fun weekend and dad and I even got to enjoy some leftovers tonight. Thanks a bunch Megan! It was still delicious the second time around. Mom K

Nancy said...

Your girls are so cute, Megan! Looks like a really fun time. I'm totally going to try that recipe--sounds so yummy!

Courtney said...

Ummmm how old does Ella look? Seriously- she's practically a teenager! So glad you guys had a good night. Rain on Halloween is no fun, but sounds like you guys made the best of it! (and dont' get me started on that kangaroo....I love it too much!)

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures Megan, they look familiar:) The girls were so cute though and such could posed so nicely for me:) It was a fun night, even though we were rained out early! And my kids made it into your blog-wahoo!! -Kerin

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

just want you to know i went grocery shopping today and had to whip out my iphone to look up this post so i could be sure to get all the ingredients right... dinner tomorrow!

do you soak the pinto beans overnight?

also i got a pork shoulder roast, do you think that will work?? i will give it a try anyway!

oh, and ella looks soooo much like you, i am sure you hear that all the time though. and we too had a kangaroo for halloween!! what fun!!

Happy said...

Yes Ella is a mini Megan and she is looking more grown up with every picture!

So cute!

The recipe sounds super yummy...we will be giving it a go as well. Soon.

Just as soon as I heft my pregnant butt to the store for ingredients!

Related Posts with Thumbnails