Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What did you think?

I'm at my parents for a few days before we head to Pittsburgh to visit with my older brother Matt, his wife Chrissie and their two boys and attend a family reunion for my mom's side of the family. Aside from my brother's family, it's been years since I've seen my mom's family - the last time I was at a gathering was for my Grandpa Bill's funeral and I was about 14 weeks pregnant with Ella.

I enjoy spending time at my parents because there's lots of space for the kids to play and a big yard to run around in and a long flat driveway to ride bikes on. But for some reason Ella has not been sleeping well the last couple of times we've been in Clearfield. I was really hoping it wouldn't happen this time, but of course, around 2:00 am she wakes up crying for me and when I go in she doesn't go back to sleep for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I lost track of time at some point. It was very frustrating and annoying. Of course that lack of sleep catches up to her throughout the day and she had probably an hour long temper tantrum over the clothes I picked out for her (I really didn't care what she wore, but she wanted to wear her sister's shorts and was literally hysterical because she couldn't.). Looking back, if I had known what it would have led to I would have said " sure, wear Catherine's shorts", because it was so not worth the fuss. But once I put my foot down about something I cannot give in to Ella - if I do it will come back to haunt me. I have a hard time comprehending why this stuff matters so much to her. Why a pair of shorts is worth the screaming and the tears?

Oh well. Enough about Ella. Who out there is watching So You Think You Can Dance???? Erin, Renee - I know both of you are. What did you think about tonight's show? I am really liking this season. The dancer's are all really good. I have found that I really really enjoy contemporary dance - it's grown on me these past few years and I tend to look forward to it and to how the dancers will do with it. I'm having a hard time remembering all the dancers because I don't have DVR at my parents and I can't just quickly rewatch a dance that I like. Which I do at home. A couple of times! I liked Pasha and Jesse - mostly because Pasha really surprised me and was awesome, plus the choreography was great. Jesus and Sarah's Paso Doble was cool and he's another guy that I enjoy watching. Neil and Lauren's hip hop was cool - I liked this new guy's choreography alot - I agree with Mia about the fluidity of it. Lacey and Kameron - good as I would have expected. I like him but he hasn't wow'ed me yet. I like Jimmy alot, Danny not as much. Danny is great, but seems to be lacking in emotion and passion. And since the judges always say that's an important part I'll hold that against him. I love Hok and was surprised he could at least keep up with his dance (was it the Samba?) and look so comfortable. I know I'm forgetting and I'm really just talking about the guys. Can you blame me?! :) For the girls I like Lacey, Sarah, the girl that dances with Hok (name?), Lauren, not sure about Jesse. Last year I had already decided I liked Benji and Travis was growing on me and I loved Musa and Alison as well. This year I'm still figuring out who I'm rooting for.

How bout you? Who was hot and not so hot tonight? Who do you like regardless of how they do? I have a hard time separating personality/performance from dance technique so I know some of my fav's might be different from, say...Renee, who knows dance and can appreciate the training and technique probably more than I do. I think it would be fun if the few of us that read this and watch would weigh in weekly and share opinions, rants, raves, etc....

And if you're not watching, check it out on Wednesday and Thursday nights on Fox. My mom was actually watching with me tonight and enjoying it!

6 comments:

chrissie k said...

I can't tell you how excited we are for a visit! Does my house have to be perfect, or would you rather good food ;) I have to make some decisions about how to spend my day and I'm leaning towards the food route. We love you guys dearly and REALLY are looking forward to having you "IN" our lives for a couple of days. The boys are excited to see the girls! Grumps and all ;)

Megan said...

Good food definitely. You could spend all day cleaning and my kids would enter your house and have it messy again within minutes. We are excited about our Pittsburgh visit - I honestly can't tell Ella until tomorrow because she'll be too excited and wake up way too early.

Erin said...

Megan,
Gosh, you have the names down way better than me. But my general thoughts were that they are all very, very good. Last season, i felt like i could pick out ones that weren't as good as the others, but this year it's much harder. And i agree with you on the modern style. it's pretty cool... not hip hop, but some very interesting moves and emotions involved in it, where the other ones are more of "routines." i was also suprised that Hok was able to pull off that dance, and i didn't really like that last dance put to the "we will rock you" song. i know the judges thought it was okay, but i just thought they would have been better off with something more "normal." This is too long... i should have sent you an email!

Megan said...

So would do you like Erin? I agree about the Paso Doble music - don't know if I said that in the original post. I think the choreographers always try for something different and unique and it doesn't always work. At least the judges realize that it's not the dancers.

My thing is that sometimes the person who is the "best" dancer isn't who I like - example of Danny. Like I said, I'm big on personality and performance, but I want them to be able to back it up with their dance skills.

Renee said...

hey megs! i was totally going to write a blog about SYTYCD, but i'll comment and then i'll write a blog :)
i actually just watched it right now - we taped it b/c we had the end of year party for YL at the cobbs. i'm writing this without having watched the results show too by the way, as we taped that and have to still watch that. anyway, all of the dancers this year are amazing; definitely harder to pick out the least favorites, b/c they're all so good. i love the contemporary as well - always loved it, and it's probably the closest thing that i trained in, so i definitely have a passion for it. my favorite girls right now are: Jamie (the one who dances with Hok), Jessi - i like the way she moves, and i think she's very expressive, and Lacey - amazing and very well-rounded. i think she'll go very far in the competetition. i also enjoy watching Anya, and Sara was great last week (not so much this week) but i'm sure i'll like her more and more too. i also like lauren. i guess my least fav girls if i had to pick are faina, shauna, and sabra (but she did good this week). as for the guys, my favs are: Pasha, Hok, and Jesus. Danny is technically amazing and i think he has a good personality and shows his passion and emotion in his own way (he's more of a ballet dancer, but he's doing very well so far. it'll be interesting to see him in hip-hop). Dominic needs to grow on me... i'm still a little bitter that the other guy got voted off last week (ricky?) b/c he was so technically amazing. sure, he may have had a weird personality, but he showed so much emotion and passion in his dancing - esp. when he was doing mia's choreography. dominic did do well this week with the contemporary, so he is proving that he can do more that just spin on his head... but still.. there's still that macho cockiness in him that i don't like....
oh my gosh, this is so long! consider this my blog! i loved the earthy/african dance of pasha and jessi's....
all in all, i love this show, and i'm trying to just enjoy watching it, without getting so caught up in the comments (the judges or viewers - that's why i never read those message boards, cause i like to form my own opinions) and i like the fact that everyone can have an opinion and that different styles and different dancers apeal to different people... it's a show for everyone! gosh, that sounds like an advertisement for the show.
hope you're having fun in clearfield! miss you here! :)

Kerri Smith said...

are you still in Clearfield!???

Related Posts with Thumbnails