Monday, October 13, 2008

I want to be a part of it.....New York....

This weekend our friends Shannon and Greg were gracious enough to host us at their home for a night and take us for our first trip as a family to New York City. It's something I've wanted to do with the girls for awhile now and this weekend was a great pick because we had gorgeous fall weather. Matt and I are not city people and while I think we could have done fine with just the four of us, it was so much more fun to be there with good friends who just happen to live close enough to be pretty familar with the city and how to navigate through it.

I looked through all the pictures and I realize we don't have any amazing NYC pictures - the ones that just shout out - "hey, look we're in NY". That's mainly because we didn't get the camera out while in Times Square or the mega Toys R Us (because a certain giraffe was there and we were too busy calming the girls). We had a great day - Ferry Ride, Bus ride, Subway ride - I think the kids were most excited by the various forms of transportation they got to try out. Ella actually starting through a fit when we got off the bus because there was so much traffic it was easier to walk. She was loving looking out the windows and checking out the sites. Most of the pictures are from the Central Park Zoo. I think I could have spent all day walking in Central Park -and people watching. After a long day and LOTS of walking we were all exhausted and the kids passed out during the car ride home. I think they had fun and were so interested in all the different off beat attractions that are so common in New York City. In fact, Ella told us her favorite part were seeing the Statue of Liberties. That's right, plural. At two different points we passed street mimes fully dressed as Lady Liberty and she found that fascinating -go figure! But we're scared of Geoffrey the Giraffe??

And now the pictures. There's a bunch so enjoy!



Ella and Jack on the Ferry ride from Weehawken

Catherine wasn't so sure about the boat ride at first, but she warmed up to it
Catherine, Ella and Jack enjoying the Sea Lions at the Zoo. For those of you who know Catherine, you'll realize what a breakthrough this is - for the last year she's been very scared of animals - her interest in the animals this weekend was so surprising.


Super cool Polar Bear. He would swim on his back right over to where we were standing and then use his feet to push off against the glass and go back.
Ok, here is a progression of pictures that I found entertaining. We want a picture of the four kids under the eagle. Cade wasn't having it and tried to escape.
Good grab Catherine- not gonna let him get away...


Ella's helping out. Meanwhile Jack is chillin with his water bottle...

The girls are working hard to get Cade in the picture. They think this is great. Jack, still chillin...
If you look closely, it seems like Catherine is scolding Cade. Jack's still waiting for us to take the picture. After the scolding Cade took off for good so this was as close as we got with all the kids together.

Ella in a turtle shell

Catherine on the stone bunny

On the ferry ride home, exhausted after a long day.

The real Statue of Liberty is over there in the distance...

The view from New Jersey. I love the NYC skyline at night. It made me want to take another boat across and join in the nightlife. Instead I was asleep by 10:30!
The reason for the title (besides the obvious) is that I kept singing the song "Start spreading the news... "for Ella since it's part of Madagascar which she loves and there were buses promoting the 2nd Madagascar all over so it was in my head. On Sunday she kept singing/saying "New York, I want to be part of it." over and over -in a totally different tune. I honestly had no idea what she was talking about when she asked me "why does he want to be part of it?"
It's too hard for me to put into words, but I know I liked being a part of it, if only for a day!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like such a super fun day... the kind where you leave so tired, but good tired. Great pics!
Am I too late to leave you my centerpiece idea? I meant to write last week and didn't...

Renee said...

so fun megs! i'm excited to take nolan (and mia, but nolan more so) to nyc for the day... i know nolan is at the age where he would just love it (probably the train and subways more!) - especially central park.

love the progression of pics with the 4 kids trying to get a picture together - so funny!

so glad you had fun!

greg milinovich said...

we had so much fun with you! thanks for coming!

Tasha Antonia Hoover said...

yay for New York! My favorite picture is of Catherine scolding Caleb. ha.
I could have spent a day in Central Park too watching the people...

Teri said...

What a fun & tiring day! :)I love NYC!

Renee said...

one day, i was people watching in central park, and i saw a very "interestingly" dressed woman, walking a dog that was spray painted hot pink (poor doggie) and another man with head phones on talking to himself REALLY loud - pretty much yelling at himself, another man who started dancing (to no music) on a bench.... people watching is the best :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a lovely day! ;)

Happy said...

You couldn't have asked for better weather for your funtabulous trip! I'm so glad to hear you all had so much fun. I have never been to NYC, but I imagine it would be amazing.

~I've been trying to think of who you look like (because I keep thinking I've met you before) and I finally figured it out.

Brooke Shields.

I keep seeing her on those Volkswagen commercials and then I just saw the picture of you in this post and I said, "That's it!"

So, did anyone ask for your autograph in NYC thinking you were her????

Happy said...

May I add that I"m thinking a much younger Brooke Shields...think back to Suddenly Susan era.

That's the only thing I can come up with for why I feel like I've met you before when I see your picture.

Megan said...

Rebecca you are too funny! I thank you for the compliment and promise you that I don't think anyone even looked my way twice in NY, let alone ask for an autograph! I think I just have one of those faces that remind people of someone they know (not usually someone famous!)

stella g. said...

man, it sounds like you had such a good time!! i love the pics (plural!) of the kids together. jack couldn't be more ambivalent, could he? i'm not overly interested in NYC bc when i went there, just outside of toy's r us, i got pooped on by a bird. right on my shoulder as i was eating a pretzel. hm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails