Tuesday, September 23, 2008

To Wii or not to Wii...

I've been wanting to use that title for awhile now! It's just so catchy! It also describes the dilemma Matt and were going through this summer. I know, real tough dilemma.

Matt had sold a bunch of his old lacrosse equipment on Ebay and made enough money to purchase a Wii bundle. Of course there are tons of options out there with various games and accessories which made this all a bit confusing. Add that to the fact that Wii's are still really hard to get ahold of. I challenge you to take a look at your local Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Costco, Circuit City to see if they have any Wii's in stock. Doubtful.

As we pondered and searched the weeks passed by and it got closer and closer to our family beach vacation. We knew that if we were going to get one it would be fun to have for that trip.

The week before we left we made tons of calls to various stores to find one and get tabs on our favorite Wii tracker website. Do you know how many calls you have to make before asking "Do you have any Wii's" starts to sound really funny? For me, maybe one or two!

We found our Wii and enjoyed many weeks of playing and making little Wii Mii's with friends and family.

Then I started thinking about the Wii Fit.

I had heard good things about it and I thought it might be a substitute for the sessions with a trainer that Matt was hoping to get me for my birthday. In comparison, the Fit was pretty affordable and something the whole family could use. After more weeks of stalking the Wii Fit tracking website of my choice (I kid you not, they exist!) and watching them sell out within minutes of becoming available we finally snagged our Wii Fit.

The Wii is fun and has tons of cool games, but the Wii Fit is a totallly different experience. It measures your BMI, lets you set weight loss goals, tests your center of balance and gives you the all important (but not really important) Wii age. My first Wii age was a result of an honest mistake (honest!) on my part so I had to redo my body test to get my age a little more reasonable, and, of course, accurate! Now I am in my upper 30's and hopefully only getting younger. The Fit age is based on a set of balance tests, an area in which we discovered he is very talented. My very balanced husband who never exercises tested out with a young Wii fit age of 21. So unfair!

The most surprising part of the Wii Fit is how much the girls love it. Sometimes Ella will stand beside me and try the yoga moves next to me and Catherine loves the balance games. But by far their favorite activity is running. They hold the Wii control and run in place following a little Wii Mii trainer. As you go along the trail the other Wii characters in your system cheer, run past you or run next to you. They love calling out the names of their family and friends that they see. Ella, in particular, seems to have an endless amount of energy for Wii running and somehow does little tricks like changing trainers and courses mid run. I'm thinking this will be just what we need when we're stuck inside during the winter!

I had to share a video I took of Catherine and Ella running together. Two disclaimers before you watch. Because of the placement of the "play" button on the video it may appear that Ella is in her birthday suit. But alas she is not, just her normal morning outfit which I hope does not offend anyone. I'm sure she'll love me for this when she's a teenager. But it's just so cute. Secondly, when you hear Catherine say "beep" she means "beat". I probably need to start working with her on that, but again, it's just so cute!

Enjoy!


7 comments:

Renee said...

cute video! love the "beep you comments" :)
wish i could wii with you! make sure you use my my wii mii every now and then so she won't get rusty!

Crafty P said...

we have a wii in our future and I cannot wait.

ever since I saw diggy and russy playing it on Run's House I was hooked.

I have my heart (and the rest of my body) set on a wii fit. maybe!!!!

they are hard to find, but we have some connections.

what games do you have? I'm sure it's a different ball game with girls in the house, but I'm sure Matt has a say in it.

Happy said...

Can you play Tetris or Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros. on the Wii?

I loved Tetris when I was a kid on my NINTENDO.

I am so behind the times.

Now I want a Wii....my husband will thank all of you for me adding one more item to my wish list!!!

chrissie k said...

oh you are feeding me......

i almost sold my kiddies' bodies in a clinical trial at the doc's office w/ a wii in mind. the boys are grateful that isaac didn't qualify due to his stroke!

someday... we'll have one. someday. that fit looks addictive too. oiy!

the boys wanted to watch the video a consecutive 15 times. i put a stop to it at 5. they miss their cousies!

Anonymous said...

She is so cute with the beep you comments! What an adorable video! How great that you have some running partners. Seems like you and Matt made the right choice to Wii!!

Teri said...

I love it! :) Didn't I tell you the Wii Fit was awesome! I've been SO good these past two weeks, let me tell you. One day a week on the tread mill (this week it was two), one night of an hour-long dance class, and one day of wii fit! That makes my 3 days of exercise so far! :)

You will have to let us know when you get new games & how you like them. Do you have Carnival Games yet? the girls would LOVE that one!

stella g. said...

jim and i have been coveting a wii for a while now. our time up with gcc gang didn't help either. i've always wondered if the wii fit was all it was cracked up to be. hmm...

Related Posts with Thumbnails