Tuesday, September 05, 2006

And eat it too...

Catherine's 1st birthday party was this past Saturday - only two weeks after her actual birthday, not too bad. I decided late in the week that I was going to make her birthday cake and went out and bought some cake making supplies (This started because I wanted to save money and not buy a cake - yeah right!). I decided to start simple -I bought a flower shaped cake pan (figured it could be used again for other celebrations) and a few tips to help with the decoration. I was surprised by how fun it was and not as complicated (remember, I went simple) as I thought it might be. So I had to post a picture of the finished product...

I have to say it was one darn tasty cake. I used Wilton's buttercream icing recipe and a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. Definitely better (if not cheaper after buying the pan and stuff) than a store cake!

6 comments:

Renee said...

it definitely was a great tasting cake megs! it really makes me want to make one for nolan's party. i'm at least going to make one for his real bday (we'll see how it turns out) but since there's so many people coming to the party, i'm not so sure! i really like homemade cakes soooo much better than store cakes (unless they're from a reeeally good bakery) :)

Anonymous said...

i'm impressed!! did you make that up as you went along? it's so cute. i'm making a cake for a baby shower next week. i might copy you...

chrissie k said...

WOW - beautiful! You are gifted, my dear... I love the fruits of your giftedness ;)

Cindy said...

Way to go mego!! You cake looks to pretty to be a first attempt I think you did a great job keep at it. I gave up on my hobby you keep going with yours!

BethK said...

Hey Megan,
Guess you found my blog...thanks for the comment about my pics--glad to know that your mom made you do those first day signs too :)

Your cake is so cute...I'm going to make a confession on your blog that with four children, eleven birthday parties and one last first birthday party on the horizon for next weekend I have NEVER baked a single birthday cake.

Does this make me a pathetic mom? Do you think my kids will grow up resenting me for this? If so, I might be headed back here for future reference on that adorable cake!!

Elizabeth

Erin said...

Megan,
Beautiful Job, but I want a piece!! :) I'm not sure I would have the patience for that...

Erin

Related Posts with Thumbnails