Sunday, November 04, 2007

Traveling Reports

This time last week I was on the last hour and half of a ten hour drive home from Asheville North Carolina (I started this post last night but got caught up watching the Eagles lose). We left at 11:30 AM and after a number of stops, we got home shortly before 11 PM. Overall not a bad trip. The kids did really well with all the driving. The one downer was that we borrowed a portable DVD player from our neighbors and then one of those cool bags that allows it to hang between the two front seats from friends. The downer about it was that the neighbors didn't give us the correct power cord so after 45 minutes on the trip down (luckily it was right before they were falling asleep) it died and we no longer had a nice high tech distraction.

The purpose of the trip was to go to the wedding of my cousin Shiloh Mielke and his fiance, now wife, Josie. It was a really nice outdoor wedding. The colors were gorgeous and the weather was really perfect for a late October wedding.

Following are a few pictures from the wedding...

Josie and Shiloh


Me and Catherine - she's not so sure about this whole wedding thing...
Ella, on the other hand, is quite happy to be sitting with her cousin Isaac!

The both did really well during the wedding. It was an evening wedding so that meant the reception was late. Luckily there was a little area blocked off for the kids, where they had a movie playing, pizza, soda and a couple of babysitters. Seriously, it was genius! Except the kids were done eating and bored with the movie well before we were served our meals. All in all it actually worked out pretty well - by the end of the night Ella was just running back and forth from our table, to my parents, to the dance floor. I think some of the time she just stood in front of the gorgeous three layer chocolate cake and drooled. I knew one thing for sure - in order to avoid a major tantrum we were not leaving until we had a piece of cake. Ella wouldn't have been happy either! :)Trust me, it was well worth the wait. And all that chocolate gave the kids (and me) the boost they needed to make it until almost 11pm!
The next day we went for a hike with my parents, brother and fam, a few uncles and aunts and cousins. Asheville and the surrounding area has so many gorgeous places to explore - definitely a great place for anyone who spending time outdoors.
There's just something about this picture that I love. Perhaps it's the light behind Ella making her look a bit angelic?? Hahahahahahaha!!! Just the thought of that....!
We tried to get a nice family picture. Tried.
Catherine finally decided she wanted to walk on her own on the return trip. That's her hiking back with my Uncle Bob.

We stayed with my Uncle Bob and Aunt Cindy. I have some pictures of their beautiful custom built home that my Uncle designed and built, but blogger is not cooperating. I do have one picture of their side yard where he built a waterfall into the rocks. I just love it and I would have loved to have had a chance t0 relax out there. Someone else beat me to it.....look closely...

The highlight of the trip was probably visiting my grandparents (my dad's parents) grave site. My Grandma Sissy and Grandpa Ike were married for 50 wonderful years and buried side by side. I wasn't at my grandfather's burial so I hadn't been up there since 1992 and I'd never seen the headstone. All eight Koerber kids (my dad is the second of eight) plus some spouses and cousins and even some of the young kids gathered up there and spent some time sharing and reminiscing about the life and adventures of my grandparents. They were both such dynamic people who loved the Lord and it showed in how they lived their lives. Their lives were spent reaching and loving and serving others. I grew up being entertained by the stories of their full house and touched by hearing of all the people whose lives were touched because of compassion Sis and Ike.
This was echoed in a prayer/song that my grandma used to always sing....and the title is what's engraved on their headstone.
Others, Lord, Others
Lord, help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way
That even when I kneel to pray
My prayer shall be for—Others.

Others, Lord, yes others,
Let this my motto be,
Help me to live for others,
That I may live like Thee

I left feeling encouraged and challenged by the legacy that has been left by my grandparents. One of living life by always putting others first. And not just the ones who make it easy - like your kids and your friends - but the least of these - unwed mothers (50 years ago I'm sure this was not as common as it is today and not highly regarded), refugees, or parolled convicts. A small example of the people who my grandparents brought into their home and their lives and showed them Christ through their words and actions. It definitely leads me to look around my home and life and pray the prayer of my grandparents, "Others, Lord, others."

2 comments:

Erin said...

Mego,
Looks like a beautiful area. I was down that way a couple of years ago at the Biltmore, and it was just gorgeous. You kiddos are cute, as always!
Erin

chrissie k said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but I did. Yep, you are right. Wretched picture of me that you can add to your album of "wretched Chrissie shots." You sure have a lot. Maybe one day you can devote a whole post to me and my wretchedness....... heehee

BTW - did the family one of us turn out? Any chance we could get a copy? I'd like some options for the Christmas cards that we have to work on soon ;) Love you lady!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails