Friday, February 20, 2009

Beautiful beautiful

We've had an amazing past two days. Wednesday we spent the day in Monterey and Pacific Grove, just walking around, enjoying the beach and the views. Matt and I stayed in Monterey that night and walked around Cannery Row, got a bite to eat and enjoyed the views!

The weather has been great and we are so thankful to have a little respite from winter.

Thursday we drove through the Big Sur area. This was one of my must do's because we had spent an hour or so in Big Sur five years ago and it left me wanting more! It's so beautiful that one hour won't do. We drove and basically freaked out over how gorgeous coastline was. With the blue blue water and rocky cliffs, contrasted by the green mountains it is among the most beautiful places I've been, matched only by the Swiss Alps!

Renee and I had both researched how to access a rather remote beach and were determined to find it despite the unmarked roads. And we were successful! We spent hours on the beach just chilling out just taking in the beauty of God's creation. Matt and I took a cool walk that ended up in a hike when we found a trail that lead up a hill and we were able to overlook the beach area from up high.

After more driving and awe inducing views and one more short hike we headed back for Matt and Jon to find a campsite and then get some dinner. It was dark by the time Renee and I drove back with the kids and it was definitely eerie being surrounded by the dark mountains and dark ocean - the only lights were those from the few cars on the road and the remote houses set high in the mountains.

I put up a few pictures on facebook so head over there to check them out. I had to steal them from Renee's camera since Matt kept ours with him for their camping trip and hike the next day (today).

We are waiting for the guys to get home so we can have a girls afternoon - little do they know that we plan on taking off for a few hours without the kids!

Thanks for your prayers - the weather is great and the kids are doing really well. I talked to Ella for the first time today and she was happy and excited, especially about waking up to the surprise of her beloved cousins at the house for a visit.

6 comments:

Crafty P said...

I'm living vicariously through your sunny trip! keep it coming!

stella g. said...

Monterrey is one of my favorite places in the US! i, too, could get lost in the rocks looking at the ocean. i'm SO glad you guys are able to get away and enjoy your friends, i mean family! isn't it great when they're one and the same?

Happy said...

I'm so glad you are keeping us well informed of how your trip is going! So glad to hear you are all having so much fun catching up with one another and with enjoying the beauty of Creation! Awesome!

I can only imagine how pretty it also must be as I've never seen it firsthand but the pictures are helping!

chrissie k said...

Cousins ROCK.

Anonymous said...

Monterey is AWESOME-
one of the most beautiful places I ever visited!
I read Cannery Row right before I visited Cannery Row and it was just as I thought it would be...
Carmel is great too !!!!!!!!
Glad you had fun.

Erin said...

megs,
i'm waiting for the blog entry about how you had a great time in CA, but then your dumb friend in pgh totally screwed up your trip home by hiding your car in the enormous airport parking lot and nearly causing your husband to freeze to death...
Good grief, i feel like a donkey's butt!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails