Thursday, February 12, 2009

Our Valentines

It's been one of those weeks when every time I go to write a new post I sit in front of the screen, type a few sentences and then kind of zone out and decide I'd rather just read everyone else's blogs than work on my own.


It's also been one of those weeks when we've had some unexpected weather - a little taste of spring that has had us outside riding bikes and tromping around in the mud. And in Ella's case falling from the monkey bars (they aren't that high) into the mud.

But most of our week has been about getting ready for Valentine's Day. I really like Valentine's Day as a family holiday. I see it as something to look forward to and celebrate as a family. I figure Matt and I should be taking time for dates throughout the year, and Valentine's Day can be something we enjoy with the kids.
We spent most of the week doing this:


I can't tell you how many of those little hearts I've vacuumed up in the last few days. Eventually we moved the Valentine making onto their craft table where they could glue and glitter to their heart's delight.

We made sugar cookies to include with Ella's Valentine's (for school) and I hot glued cute little pencils to glittery foam hearts for Catherine (you know, to look like an arrow!)

If by chance my husband is reading this ...Matt stop reading NOW! The girls are working on a little book for their daddy. I'm writing down all the things they love about him and they are drawing pictures. It's so cute to hear what they have to say and the differences in how they express themselves.


Aside from some birthday parties in the afternoon, we will probably enjoy a low key day and all have a yummy dinner together Saturday night. I'm not exactly sure what the menu will be, but I am pretty sure I am making these, courtesy of Bakerella:


I love Bakerella. I just love looking at all her amazing creations. I am definitely going to make some cupcake pops one of these days, just wait and see (If I bother to take a picture).

On the subject of baking, but in a totally different direction another baking site I LOVE is Cake Wrecks. It is a website devoted to professional cakes gone wrong. Oh my it is hilarious! Words don't do it justice, so some day when you're in need of a laugh, check it out and I promise you will get that laugh!

I hope to get at least one more post up in the next couple of days, but if I don't it's because I am busy getting ready for our trip to CA!!!! Matt and I are going to visit Jon and Renee and the kids are staying at my mom's. I am definitely anxious about leaving them for so long, so if you could keep us all in your prayers for the next week and a half (we are gone Mon-Mon) it would be greatly appreciated! Especially for my little Ella who tends to get homesick. Also, if you don't mind, pray for decent weather, I am obsessing over the 10 day forecast and so far every day shows rain. I did see the potential for partly cloudy next Saturday and did a little cheer!

Enjoy your weekend and perhaps the next time you'll hear from me I'll be in California!

10 comments:

Tasha Antonia Hoover said...

I am so glad you are doing the thing for Matt, Meg! Yay! Have a wonderful trip... you guys are going to have a blast. Thanks for offering to loan Adam the Honda. Love you.

Teri said...

I love cake wrecks, too!

Have a great trip! We will be praying for you! I'm sure the girls will have a great time (although I'm sure they'll miss you lots, too!).

Valentine-making looked like so much fun!

Renee said...

aww, i love the picture of them crafting away! nolan made jon a valentine that said why he loved him too. it was so funny some of the things he said :) i like the book idea - would be sweet if they did that every year and then to look back on how their loved kept growing and maturing for their daddy!

i'll be praying for all you have to do to get ready for this trip. i will pray ella totally suprises you in not getting homesick at all. it's so hard to leave them for this long... but it will be worth it - refresh you as parents, some time alone together, and best of all (hehe) - time with yours truly!!! :)

most of all, i'll pray this weather holds out!!! only rain in the middle of the night, and in the late evenings!!!

we love you and can't wait to see you. xoxo

Jen said...

Have a great time in CA. Sounds like so much fun.

I got a good laugh from that disaster cake website. Very funny.

Sarah said...

Wow! You're so crafty! I'm impressed...our valentines came form a box this year like every other year! The moonpies look great and I love the idea of the book for Matt.
Have a great time on your trip to CA!!! Have fun, relax and try not to worry about the kids. They're in good hands and everyone needs a break to unwind and recharge!

Courtney said...

Oh Meg! I HAVE to make those cookies/cake/cookies (?). I have a great recipe for "homemade oreos" sos I might just switch the mix to red velvet. Yum!

And I love that Bakerella site- her stuff is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Happy Valentine's day- have so much fun in CA!

Crafty P said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Megan! Can't wait to hear how the book goes for Matt!
I just dropped off those sandwich cookies for Gabriel's party at school. They are really a breeze to make!

ps have you read the memory keeper's daughter? I was going to pick that one up this weekend at the library.

Happy said...

Happy Valentine's Day Megan! The girls look adorable crafting away at their Valentine's and I love the idea you had for Matt...I should try that here. But, not for Matt, for Derek. Just felt the need to clarify.

Have so much fun in California and be safe! I hope the weather holds out for you!

Happy said...

Oh, and I hope the girls do okay while you guys are gone. It's hard to leave them even when it's in capable and loving hands...I'll say a prayer for all of you!

Anonymous said...

I def want to steal away that idea you did for Matt to have the kids do for Scott one day. I too love making the day a fun one for the kids.

Have a great time in CA. TAKE PICS and post them for us, kay??

Related Posts with Thumbnails